Lee's pc hardware adventures...

For anything non-game related

Yesterday evening, after an innocent reboot to install zune software, windows 7 wouldn't boot again. Repairing the boot sequence wouldn't work.

I formated my SSD from my laptop, and tried to reinstall seven, but the install CD doesn't launch correctly, it stays blocked on the blue screen with the flowers in the background and the mouse cursor.

Tried to install seven on the SSD by pluging it in my former laptop, install works, but no way I can boot on the desktop with it (tried at the middle step reboot of the install, as well as at the end of the install, to check if the installation could continue on the desktop).

I've unplugged all other drives, it still says NTLDR is missing. I don't know if it's from my bluray drive, or from something wrong on the motherboard (bios with fail safe settings loaded).

I don't see myself buying a new rig now, nor a gamer laptop. Can't afford them.
    Last edited by Lee on 08 Jul 2013 09:25, edited 1 time in total.
    Lee

have you reset the cmos and removed any overclock?
    Mastachief
    Mercenary Co-Leader & Admin

Gonna try to install seven from a usb drive
    Lee

Mastachief wrote:have you reset the cmos and removed any overclock?

Yes I did, I've unplugged everything, when it's not NTLDR is missing, it says that BOOTMGR is...

I tried windows 7 install from usb drive, and windows 8 too, when the system manage to boot on the usb drive, the install is frozen on the first loading screen.

I'm starting to think something's wrong with the MB/CPU/RAM... I'll go check my old drawers to see if I still have my former platform (pre coreduo P4...).
    Lee

After talking to a friend, seems like a memory corruption problem, so MB or RAM is dead... Need to find someone to lend me some ram for a test.
    Lee

Lee wrote:After talking to a friend, seems like a memory corruption problem, so MB or RAM is dead... Need to find someone to lend me some ram for a test.

If the motherboard was dead or dying, I'm not convinced you'd even get as far as you did. RAM issue or SSD failing is more likely given the scenario you've described.

Did you manage to get your SSD completely installed, booting and working on your laptop? If so then scratch that theory.
    Phattie
    Site Admin & Officer

Seen this on a laptpp mother board before i narrowed it down to the controller for the harddrive being broken
    Have you tried a non ssd drive or another sata port? Does you board have 2 sata controller my ddr2 one has
    Mastachief
    Mercenary Co-Leader & Admin

I managed to install windows 7 on the SSD through the laptop, but it was to try to then take over the end of the install, or boot on the desktop. I didn't try to use it normally on the laptop, which I should have. I'll try again if needed.

I've tried several SATA ports but not all of them. But even with my SSD totally unplugged, the install of win7/8 does get stuck at the first loading screen.
    I had no empty HDD to try something, but having the SDD unplugged and one of the other HDD plugged didn't help.

As for the number of sata controller, I don't know, my mb is a gigabyte EP45 DS3.
    Lee

Phattie wrote:
    Lee wrote:After talking to a friend, seems like a memory corruption problem, so MB or RAM is dead... Need to find someone to lend me some ram for a test.

If the motherboard was dead or dying, I'm not convinced you'd even get as far as you did. RAM issue or SSD failing is more likely given the scenario you've described.

Did you manage to get your SSD completely installed, booting and working on your laptop? If so then scratch that theory.

Thing is, when all drives are unplugged, it boots on the install, but still freezes, so I don't think it's the SSD. I'll try the full install and test on the laptop tonight anyway.

Yesterday evening I did a 2 pass test of my ram by booting on a CD with memtest. No errors encountered, so the RAM is fine. I'm smelling the mb death more and more...

Anyone got a spare LGA775 to send me for cheap? :cry3:
    Lee

had to buy the cheapest mobo I found which was a gigabyte G41M combo (µatx) for 52 euros (I was expecting to find some MSI for less than 40, but the stock were not updated with the internet...)

pain in the ass to mount, had to sacrifice 1 sata cable because the port is behind my GFX card... but at least, now it works, just finished the win7 install and will DL PS2 back to be in game tomorrow hopefully
    Lee

OMG the game's running bad, I don't know if they broke something during my absence, or that means the 500 extra Mhz I got from overclocking on my old motherboard did matter a lot...

I don't have brilliant hope for overclocking with that cheap board...
    At least I switched back to my 2nd monitor (viewsonic CRT with native 1280x1024) for smoother but still looking OK PS2 gaming... :cry3:
    Lee

Game's running awfully, I'm gonna return this mobo to the shop and wait a week and I'll add 200ish bucks for a I5 platform... I've had enough of fps drops and losing fights because my PC is crap!
    Lee

I should have bought these cute things way earlier, it changes everything, now I don't have to die in a gun fight anymore!!!!
    Lee

now that my pc is working fine, and I got some money back from paintball refereeing, I'm starting my make-my-pc-silent-and-almost-passive stage, starting with that:
    http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/Prolimatech-Black-Series-MK-26-Multi-VGA-Kuehler::21977.html

it's for the mothafrakking GPU which is 81°C when playing PS2 and makes the stock fan run like mad (and at this temperature i've set it up not even at 100% but it's still noisy)

I'll see how this huge heatsink works in passive, otherwise I'll stick a silent 140mm fan on it and should be super fine according to reviews
    Lee

Solid enough, though the 4xx series is notorious for its heat output. Not sure those are possible to cool passively, so I'd keep that fan handy.
    Xale
    MercenaryS Officer

Tests show if the airflow is good enough in the case, it can work passively with no o/c.

In my corsair "world trade center" 800D case there a fan below, i'll see if it does the job, but there's a big chance I end up with a silent fan on that heatsink.

Next step might be a NoFan cpu cooler
    http://www.quietpc.com/nof-cr-95c
    Lee

Next

Return to General Chat

Information