Nvidia GTX 1070 & 1080 - and now the 1080ti

For anything non-game related

Just been revealed so will no doubt get more info on them later:

GTX 1080
    - $600 (special edition for $700 with high-end OC support).
    - May 27
    - 9TFLOPS
    - 8GB G5X
    - DP1.4 HDR 4K@120Hz
    - HDMI 2.0B 4K@60Hz
    - DL-DVI
    - Over 2GHz overclocking, vapor chamber cooling
    - 8GB framebuffer, 10Gbps quad-data rate
    - 16nm FinFET
    - 7.2B transistors
    - 2560 cores

GTX 1070
    - $380
    - June 10
    - 6.5TFLOPS
    - 8GB G5
    (No other specs at this time)

Tobax

THE PRICE
    A MASTER PIECE THAT IS AFFORDABLE!
    SUCK IT AMD!
    A German Suplex!
    GermanSuplex

Glad I postponed my upgrades
    PS 2 - MrK
    PS1/ET:QW/BF - Kalbuth
    OFP/ArmA - Whisper
    MrK

That's a pretty big jump in relative power... I wonder what metric they're using to measure that. I'd be extremely surprised if we'd be able to install it and instantly get that big of a performance increase in regular games, or if it just increases one of their proprietary technologies' performance by that much, like Hairworks, etc.

Interesting that they are still using GDDR5 and not going the V-NAND route like AMD and other flash manufacturers though.

Also lol@HDMI still being a peasant's choice over DP :fuck1:
    Phattie
    Site Admin & Officer

Phattie wrote:Also lol@HDMI still being a peasant's choice over DP :fuck1:

Don't lol I have to use HDMI output into my Capture card :(

I'm probably looking at getting one of these cards, anyone have any ideas what I could use my old GFX card (GTX 670) for other than putting it into a streaming/Video editing PC since I'm looking at trying to get into all of that but I want to wait until I get a decent upload speed and actually see if I get enjoyment out of making videos and it doens't feel like a chore. Otherwise do I just leave my old card wrapped up in a box
    EmitzDevil
    Mercenary Queen

EmitzDevil wrote:

I'm probably looking at getting one of these cards, anyone have any ideas what I could use my old GFX card (GTX 670) for other than putting it into a streaming/Video editing PC since I'm looking at trying to get into all of that but I want to wait until I get a decent upload speed and actually see if I get enjoyment out of making videos and it doens't feel like a chore. Otherwise do I just leave my old card wrapped up in a box

Dedicated Physx card?
    Loui5D
    Battle Galaxy of Doom

Loui5D wrote:
    EmitzDevil wrote:

Dedicated Physx card?

I go for performance over quality in every game I play so that's pointless for me
    EmitzDevil
    Mercenary Queen

EmitzDevil wrote:
    Loui5D wrote:

Dedicated Physx card?

I go for performance over quality in every game I play so that's pointless for me

Sell it for a £100 worth beer tokens on EBay
    Mastachief
    Mercenary Co-Leader & Admin

Mastachief wrote:
    EmitzDevil wrote:
    Loui5D wrote:

Dedicated Physx card?

Sell it for a £100 worth beer tokens on EBay

This.

The power difference between the 1070 / 1080 and your 670 is likely so great that the 670 would be slower than letting the 1070 / 1080 doing the PhysX.
    Phattie
    Site Admin & Officer

I think my next graphic card upgrade will be triggered by Star Citizen, until then I'll do with my OCed 780. Unless I find a good paying job and I replace my ultrawide monitor sooner by another ultrawide with more than 100Hz refresh rate.
    Lee

A friend of mine is considering the purchase of a gaming rig (so far, he's a macbook peasant and PS4 peasant).

I can only find founders edition 1070s for 499€, nothing cheaper. Have you guys started looking into those cards?
    Lee

Lee wrote:A friend of mine is considering the purchase of a gaming rig (so far, he's a macbook peasant and PS4 peasant).

I can only find founders edition 1070s for 499€, nothing cheaper. Have you guys started looking into those cards?

Same price ranges I've seen, currently.
    Might want to wait a bit more if some standard issue of each card will follow. Everything I see for both is 100-200€ above the prices listed at press announcement time.
    PS 2 - MrK
    PS1/ET:QW/BF - Kalbuth
    OFP/ArmA - Whisper
    MrK

Tobax wrote:...because you weren't giving them enough money, now buy a 1080ti for £700.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1080-ti/

I mean it makes sense from their perspective. Milk the 1070 and 1080 for as long as you can and release the 1080ti before AMD has anything competitive going on to maximise market share and profit. The small drop in price for the 1070 and 1080 won't hurt them at all.

I mean it's business after all what I personally find quite hard to stomach is that I have to create an account to get "game-ready" drivers and the fact that their drivers send data to them unless I disable that by digging through files.
    :sfp1: Image :siws2:
    Sternkr4ft

Return to General Chat

Information